Howard Reiss Career Development Chair
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Univeristy of California, Los Angeles
题目：Rational Design and Nanoscale Integration of Multifunctional Nanostructures
Our research involves rational design and synthesis of highly complex nanostructures with precisely controlled chemical composition, physical morphology and dimension; fundamental investigation of the novel electronic, optical and magnetic properties and exploration of new technological opportunities arising in these nanostructures. In particular, we place a strong emphasis on nanoscale integration of dissimilar materials with distinct compositions, structures and properties to create novel material systems with unique functions and/or unprecedented performance to break the boundaries of traditional technologies. In this seminar, I will first give a brief overview of various topics we have been exploring with nanoscale heterostructures, and then I will focus my discussion on the heterointegration of graphene with a variety of nano and molecular scale structures of designed architectures to open up a wide range of opportunities in high speed electronics, multi-color detection, band gap engineering, molecular sensing and catalysis.
A Short Biography:
Dr. Duan received the B.S degree in chemistry from University of Science and Technology and China (USTC) in 1997, M.A. degree in chemistry and Ph.D. degree in physical chemistry from Harvard University in 1999 and 2002, respectively. He was a Founding Scientist, Principal Scientist and Manager of Advanced Technology at Nanosys Inc. from 2002 to 2008. He joined UCLA in 2008.
Awards and Honors:
National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2010); National Institute of Health Director’s New Innovator Award (2008); UCLA Howard Reiss Career Development Chair (2008); NASA Nanotech Brief ‘Nano 50’ Innovator Award (2006); American Chemical Society Regional Industry Innovation Award (2006); MIT Technology Review Top 100 Young Innovators Award (2003); National Inventors Hall of Fame Collegiate Inventors Competition Award (2001); Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award Gold Medal (2001); University of Science and Technology of China President Guo Moruo Scholarship (1997).
1. Lopata, K.; Thorpe, R.; Pistinner, S.; Duan, X. and Neuhauser, D. Graphene nanomeshes: onset of conduction band gaps Chem. Phys. Lett. , 2010; 498(4-6): 334-337.
2. Liao, L.; Bai, J.; Cheng, R.; Lin, Y.; Jiang, S.; Qu, Y.; Huang, Y. and Duan, X. Sub-100 nm channel length graphene transistors Nano Lett. , 2010; 10(10): 3952?3956.
3. Liao, L. and Duan, X. Graphene-dielectric Integration for graphene transistors Materials Science and Engineering R, 2010; 70(3-6): 354-370.
4. Qu, Y.; Xue, T.; Zhong, X.; Lin, Y.; Liao, L.; Choi J. and Duan, X. Heterointegration of Pt/Si/Ag Nanowire Photodiodes and Their Photocatalytic Properties Adv. Fun. Mater. , 2010; 20(18): 3005?3011.
5. Xu, G.; Bai, J.; Torres, C.M.; Song, E.B.; Tang, J.; Zhou, Y.; Duan, X.; Zhang, Y. and Wang, K. Low-noise submicron channel graphene nanoribbons Appl. Phys. Lett. , 2010; 97(7): .
6. Lei Liao, Yung-Chen Lin, Mingqiang Bao, Rui Cheng, Jingwei Bai, Yuan Liu, Yongquan Qu, Kang L. Wang, Yu Huang, & Xiangfeng Duan High-speed graphene transistors with a self-aligned nanowire gate Nature, 2010; 467: 305-8.
7. Jingwei Bai, Rui Cheng, Faxian Xiu, Lei Liao, Minsheng Wang, Alexandros Shailos, Kang L. Wang, Yu Huang and Xiangfeng Duan Very large magnetoresistance in graphene nanoribbons Nature Nanotechnology, 2010; 5: 655-9.
8. Freer, E.; Grachev, O.; Duan, X.; Martin, S. and Stumbo, D. High-yield self-limiting single-nanowire assembly with dielectrophoresis Nature Nanotechnology, 2010; 5(625): 525-530.
9. Wang, Y.; Tran, H.; Liao, L.; Duan, X. and Kaner, R. Nanoscale morphology, dimensional control and electrical properties of oligoanilines J. Am. Chem. Soc. , 2010; 132(30): 10365?10373.
10. Qu Y, Liao L, Cheng R, Wang Y, Lin YC, Huang Y, Duan X Rational Design and Synthesis of Freestanding Photoelectric Nanodevices as Highly Efficient Photocatalysts Nano Lett. , 2010; 10(5): 1941-9.
11. Liao L, Bai J, Cheng R, Lin YC, Jiang S, Huang Y, Duan X Top-Gated Graphene Nanoribbon Transistors with Ultrathin High-k Dielectrics Nano Lett. , 2010; 10(5): 1917-21.
12. Yongquan Qu, Xing Zhong, Yujing Li, Lei Liao, Yu Huang and Xiangfeng Duan Photocatalytic properties of porous silicon nanowires J. Mater. Chem., 2010; 20(18): 3590-4.
13. Liao L, Bai J, Qu Y, Lin YC, Li Y, Huang Y, Duan X High-kappa oxide nanoribbons as gate dielectrics for high mobility top-gated graphene transistors PNAS, 2010; 107(15): 6711-5.
14. Hua Zhang, Yujing Li, Ivan A. Ivanov, Yongquan Qu, Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan Plasmonic Modulation of the Upconversion Fluorescence in NaYF4:Yb/Tm Hexaplate Nanocrystals Using Gold Nanoparticles or Nanoshells ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION, 2010; 49(16): 2865-8.
15. Liao L, Bai JW, Lin YC, Qu YQ, Huang Y, Duan XF High-Performance Top-Gated Graphene-Nanoribbon Transistors Using Zirconium Oxide Nanowires as High-Dielectric-Constant Gate Dielectrics ADVANCED MATERIALS , 2010; 22(17): 1941-5.
16. Jingwei Bai, Xing Zhong, Shan Jiang Yu Huang, Xiangfeng Duan Graphene nanomesh Nature Nanotechnology, 2010; 5: 190-4.
17. Liao L, Bai JW, Qu YQ, Huang Y, Duan XF Single-layer graphene on Al2O3/Si substrate: better contrast and higher performance of graphene transistors NANOTECHNOLOGY , 2010; 21(1): .
18. Duan, X. and Huang Y. Chemically synthesized semiconductor nanowires for high performance electronic and optoelectronics, Flexible Devices Made from Nanostructures, 2010; .
19. Qu Y, Liao L, Li Y, Zhang H, Huang Y, Duan X Electrically Conductive and Optically Active Porous Silicon Nanowires Nano Lett., 2009; 9(12): 4539-43.
20. Bai, J. W. Duan, X. F. Huang, Y. Rational Fabrication of Graphene Nanoribbons Using a Nanowire Etch Mask, Nano Letters, 2009; 9(5): 2083-2087.
21. Duan, X. Nanowire thin-film transistors: a new avenue to high performance macroelectronics IEEE Trans. on Electron Dev., 2008; 55(11): 3056-3062.
22. Duan, X. Assembled semiconductor nanowire thin films for high performance flexible macroelectronics, MRS Bulletin, 2007; 32: 134-141.
23. Duan, X., Niu, C., Sahi, V., Chen, J., Parce, J. W., Empedocles, S. and Goldman, J. High performance thin film transistors assembled from semiconductor nanowires and nanoribbons Nature, 2003; 425: 274-278.
24. Duan, X. F. Huang, Y. Agarwal, R. Lieber, C. M. Single-nanowire electrically driven lasers Nature, 2003; 421(6920): 241-245.
25. Duan, X. F. Huang, Y. Lieber, C. M. Nonvolatile memory and programmable logic from molecule-gated nanowires Nano Letters, 2002; 2(5): 487-490.
26. Huang, Y., Duan, X., Cui, Y., Lauhon, L., Kim, K. and Lieber, C. M. Logic gates and computation from assembled nanowire building blocks Science, 2001; 294: 1313-1317.
27. Wang, J., Gudiksen, M. S., Duan, X., Cui, Y. and Lieber C. M. Highly polarized photoluminescence and polarization-sensitive photodetectors from single indium phosphide nanowires Science, 2001; 293: 1455-1457.
28. Huang, Y.; Duan, X.; Wei, Q. and Lieber, C.M. Directed assembly of one dimensional nanostructures into functional networks Science, 2001; 291: 630-633.
29. Duan, X., Huang, Y., Cui, Y., Wang, J., and Lieber, C. M. Indium phosphide nanowires as building blocks for nanoscale electronic and optoelectronic devices Nature, 2001; 409: 66-69.
30. Duan, X. F. Lieber, C. M. General synthesis of compound semiconductor nanowires Advanced Materials, 2000; 12(4): 298-302.