Obtained his B.S. (1997) and M.S. (2000) at the Department of Macromolecular Science of Fudan University in China. Obtained his Ph.D. in Chemistry (2007) at California Institute of Technology. Received his postdoctoral training (2007~2009) in the Joint Program of Biomedical Engineering by Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology. Pursued clinically relevant research (2009~2011) at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and the University of California, Los Angeles.Joined the Institute of FUNSOM of Soochow University as a professor in the October of 2011.
Group Webpage: http://web.suda.edu.cn/jliu/index.html
Research Fields: Microfluidic Devices, Nano Probes, Early Diagnosis of Diseases.
Development of advanced nano materials and microfluidic technologies with biomedical applications covering nucleic acids (DNA、RNA), protein biomarkers, and tumor cells. Publications in the major journals including Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.、ACS Nano、Analytical Chemistry. Research highlighted by the front cover of the journals or featured news.
Developed microfluidic technologies using Multi-layer Soft lithography. Successfully miniaturized polymerase chain reactions (PCR) in the microchips, reducing the required reagents volume by several orders of magnitude than conventional PCR technique. Created a matrix PCR microchip with high sensitivity, high-throughput performance. This platform enables multiplexed distinct PCR assays on a single chip by combinational amplifications of nucleic acids between different DNA templates and primer pairs. It has been commercialized by Fluidigm Corporation. As one of the most representative products of PCR microchip in industry, this platform has found a broad range of applications in the detection of genes with high sensitivity, or single cell gene expression studies. Designed microfluidic DNA microarrays for enhanced DNA hybridization by microfluidic chaotic mixing, increasing detection sensitivity by nearly one order of magnitude than the traditional static method, while reducing hybridization time dramatically.
Developed multi-color quantum dots (QD) immunostaining to detect protein biomarkers for cancer diagnosis using clinical specimens. It allows detection of 4~5 protein biomarkers simultaneously, therefore providing a reliable technique of molecular diagnosis for cancer diagnosis and the upcoming personalized medicine. This method has been successfully applied onto the research and diagnosis of prostate cancer, breast cancer, and lymphoma using clinical specimens. Development of the advanced platform integrating microfluidic devices and functionalized silicon nanowires for efficient enrichment of circulating tumor cells, promoting the research on cancer metastasis and monitoring cancer progression.
Currently the research of my group focuses on developing new methods of preparing functional nano materials, and designing highly integrated platforms with microfluidic techniques and nano materials for clinical applications.
Recruitment: Featured with multi-disciplinary research, my group sincerely welcomes students with diverse backgrounds including chemistry and chemical engineering, biotechnology or bioengineering, biology or medicine, materials science, and physics. Warmly welcome undergraduate students to intern in my group by applying for the Pan Deng research plan sponsored by FUNSOM.
1. Rui Shen, Peipei Liu, Yiqiu Zhang, Zhao Yu, Xuyue Chen, Lu Zhou, Baoqing Nie, Anna Zaczek, Jian Chen*, Jian Liu*, Sensitive Detection of Single-cell Secreted H2O2 by Integrating a Microfluidic Droplet Sensor and Au Nanoclusters. Analytical Chemistry, 2018, DOI:10.1021/acs.analchem.7b04798
2. Rui Shi, Xing Dai, Weifeng Li, Fang Lu, Yang Liu, Huihua Qu, Hao Li, Qiongyang Chen, He Tian, Enhui Wu, Yong Wang, Ruhong Zhou*, Shuit-Tong Lee*, Yeshayahu Lifshitz, Zhenhui Kang*, and Jian Liu*, Hydroxyl-Group-Dominated Graphite Dots Reshape Laser Desorption/Ionization Mass Spectrometry for Small Biomolecular Analysis and Imaging. ACS Nano, 2017, 11, 9500-9513
3. Chenxi Li, Jianwei Shen, Jianfeng Yang, Jun Yan, Haijun Yu, Jian Liu*, NIR-Triggered Release of Nitric Oxide with Upconversion Nanoparticles Inhibits Platelet Aggregation in Blood Samples. Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 2017, DOI:10.1002/ppsc.201700281
4. Rui Shi, Hao Li, Enhui Wu, Lipeng Xiong, Rui Lv, Ruochen Guo, Yang Liu, Guoqiang Xu, Zhenhui Kang*, Jian Liu*, Simultaneous enzymatic activity modulation and rapid determination of enzyme kinetics by highly crystalline graphite dots. Nanoscale, 2017, 9, 8410-8417
5. Xu Fang, Yaling Wang, Xiaochuan Ma*, Yingying Li, Zhaolei Zhang, Zhisheng Xiao, Lijia Liu, Xueyun Gao, Jian Liu*, Mitochondria-targeting Au Nanoclusters Enhance Radiosensitivity of Cancer Cells. J. Mater. Chem. B, 2017, 5, 4190-4197
6. Zhao Yu, Lu Zhou, Ting Zhang, Rui Shen, Chenxi Li, Xu Fang, Gareth Griffiths, Jian Liu*, Sensitive detection of MMP9 enzymatic activities in single cell-encapsulated microdroplets as an assay of cancer cell invasiveness. ACS Sensors, 2017, 2, 626-634
Edited by Juan Yang