Liang-Sheng (Larry) Liao
Institute of Functional Nano & Soft Materials (FUNSOM), Soochow University
B.S., Jiangxi University, Dept. of Physics, 1982
M.S., Nanjing University, Dept. of Physics, 1988
Ph.D., Nanjing University, Dept. of Physics, 1996
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Physics, Jiangxi University, 1982-1985
Lecturer, and then Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics, Jiangxi University, 1988-1993
Visiting Scholar, California State University, Northridge (US), 1989-1990
Post-Doc. Fellow, Surface Physics Laboratory, Fudan University, 1996-1997
Associate Professor, Surface Physics Laboratory, Fudan University, 1997-2000
Research Fellow, Center Of Super-Diamond and Advanced Films (COSDAF), City University of Hong Kong, 1998-2000.
Senior Research Scientist, Research Laboratories, Eastman Kodak Company (US), 2000-2009
Professor, Institute of Functional Nano & Soft Materials, Soochow University, 2009-Present
Deputy Director, Institute of Functional Nano & Soft Materials, Soochow University, 2009-2016
Executive Director, Institute of Organic Optoelectronics, JITRI, 2016-present.
Optoelectronic devices (OLEDs, QLEDs, OPVs, perovskite solar cells, organic detectors); semiconductor physics; organic optoelectronic materials
Research Experience and Accomplishments:
Published over 280 papers with more than 6000 citations (h-index = 39). Filed over 130 Chinese patents and 61 US patent applications (41 US patents were granted). Invented tandem organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) with full organic intermediate connectors; fabricated high-performance full-color OLEDs for display applications; fabricated high-performance white OLEDs for solid-state lighting applications; investigated coherence characteristics of electrically excited tandem OLEDs. Awards include: First Rate Award in Progress of Science and Technology, by Jiangsu Provincial Government in 1998; “Distinguished Paper Award”, by Society of Information Display (SID) in 2006; “Distinguished Inventor”, by Eastman Kodak Company in 2007; “Outstanding Teacher”, by Suzhou City Administration in 2012; “Second Rate Award in Technology Invention”, by the Ministry of Education of China in 2017.
Selected Publication (“*”indicating a corresponding author)：
30. L. S. Cui, S. B. Ruan, F. Bencheikh, R. Nagata, L. Zhang, K. Inada, H. Nakanotani, L. S. Liao* and C. Adachi*, “Long-lived efficient delayed fluorescence organic light-emitting diodes using n-type hosts”, Nat. Commun. (2017), DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-02419-x.
29. Y. X. Li, J. D. Lin, X. Z. Che, Y. Qu, F. Liu, L. S. Liao* and S. R. Forrest*, “High Efficiency Near-Infrared and Semitransparent Non-Fullerene Acceptor Organic Photovoltaic Cells”, J. American Chem. Soc.139, 17114 (2017).
28. K. Qasim, B. P. Wang, Y. P. Zhang, P. F. Li, Y. S. Wang, S. J. Li, S. T. Lee, L. S. Liao*, W. Lei* and Q. L. Bao*, “Solution‐Processed Extremely Efficient Multicolor Perovskite Light‐Emitting Diodes Utilizing Doped Electron Transport Layer”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 27, 1606874 (2017).
27. Z. Z. Li, F. Liang, M. P. Zhuo, Y. L. Shi, X. D. Wang* and L. S. Liao*, “White-Emissive Self-Assembled Organic Microcrystals”, Small 13, 1604110 (2017).
26. Y.i Yuan, Y. Hu, Y. X. Zhang, J. D. Lin, Y. K. Wang, Z. Q. Jiang, L. S. Liao* and S. T. Lee*, “Over 10% EQE Near‐Infrared Electroluminescence Based on a Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence Emitter”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 27, 170986 (2017).
25. Y. L. Lei, Y. Q. Sun, L. S. Liao*, S. T. Lee* and W. Y. Wong*, “Facet-Selective Growth of Organic Heterostructured Architectures via Sequential Crystallization of Structurally Complementary π-Conjugated Molecules”, Nano Letters 17, 695 (2017).
24. Y. K. Wang, S. F. Wu, S. H. Li, Y. Yuan, F. P. Wu, S. Kumar, Z. Q. Jiang*, M. K. Fung and L. S. Liao*, “D-A-A-Type Emitter Featuring Benzo [c][1, 2, 5] thiadiazole and Polar C≡N Bond as Tandem Acceptor for High-Performance Near-Infrared Organic Light-Emitting Diodes”, Adv. Optical Mater. 5, 1700566 (2017).
23. J. M. Wang, Z. K. Wang*, M. Li, C. C. Zhang, L. L. Jiang, K. H. Hu, Q. Q. Ye and L. S. Liao*, “Doped Copper Phthalocyanine via an Aqueous Solution Process for Normal and Inverted Perovskite Solar Cells”, Adv. Energy Mater. (2017), DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201701688.
22. Y. Li, L. Zhong, B. Gautam, H. J. Bin, J. D. Lin, F. P. Wu, Z. J. Zhang, Z. G. Zhang*, K. Gundogdu*, Y. F. Li, Z. Q. Jiang* and L. S. Liao*, “A Near-Infrared Non-Fullerene Electron Acceptor for High Performance Polymer Solar Cells”, Energ. Environ. Sci.10, 1610 (2017).
21. Y. X. Zhang, B. Wang, Y. Yuan, Y. Hu, Z. Q. Jiang* and L. S. Liao*, “Solution‐Processed Thermally Activated Delayed Fluorescence Exciplex Hosts for Highly Efficient Blue Organic Light‐Emitting Diodes”, Adv. Optical Mater. 5, 1700012 (2015).
20. Z. K. Wang, X. Gong, M. Li, Y. Hu, J. M. Wang, H. Ma, L. S. Liao*, “Induced crystallization of perovskites by a perylene underlayer for high-performance solar cells” ACS Nano. 10, 5479 (2016).
19. L. S. Liao, S. T. Lee*, “Materials science in China”, Nat. Rev. Mater. 1, 16025 (2016).
18. Y. K. Wang, Z. C. Yuan, G. Z. Shi, Y. X. Li, Q Li, F. Hui, B. Q. Sun*, Z. Q. Jiang*, L. S. Liao*, “Dopant-free spiro- triphenylamine/fluorene as hole-transporting material for perovskite solar cells with enhanced ef?ciency and stability”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 26, 1375 (2016).
17. X. Gong, M. Li, X. B. Shi, H. Ma, Z. K. Wang*, L. S. Liao*, “Controllable perovskite crystallization by water additive for high-performance solar cells”, Adv. Funct. Mater. 25, 6671 (2015).
16. X. B. Shi, Y. Hu, B. Wang, L. Zhang, Z. K. Wang*, L. S. Liao*, “Conductive inorganic–organic hybrid distributed Bragg reflectors”, Adv. Mater. 27, 6696 (2015).
15. L. S. Cui, Y. M. Xie, Y. K. Wang, C. Zhong, Y. L. Deng, X. Y. Liu, Z. Q. Jiang*, L. S. Liao*, “Pure hydrocarbon hosts for ≈100% exciton harvesting in both phosphorescent and fluorescent light-emitting devices”, Adv. Mater. 27, 4213 (2015).
14. L. S. Liao*, “A low-cost route toward a vivid display with striking colors and high efficiency”, NPG. Asia. Mater. 7, e163 (2015).
13. J. Wang, F. Peng, Y. Lu, Y. Zhong, S. Y. Wang, M. F. Xu, X. Y. Ji, Y. Y. Su, L. S. Liao*, Y. He*, “Large-scale green synthesis of fluorescent carbon nanodots and their use in optics applications”, Adv. Optical Mater. 3, 103 (2015).
12. Z. M. Jin, W. Gu, X. B. Shi, Z. K. Wang*, Z. Q. Jiang*, L. S. Liao*, “A novel route to surface-enhanced Raman scattering: Ag nanoparticles embedded in the nanogaps of a Ag substrate”, Adv. Optical Mater.2, 588 (2014).
11. W. Zhao, F. Liang, Z. M. Jin, X. B. Shi, P. H. Yin, X. R. Wang, C. Sun, Z. Q. Gao, L. S. Liao*, “Efficient plasmonic photocatalytic activity on silver-nanoparticle-decorated AgVO3 nanoribbons”, J. Mater. Chem. A.2, 13226 (2014).
10. M. F. Xu, Y. J. Liao, F. S. Zu, J. Liang, D. X. Yuan, Z. K. Wang *, L. S. Liao*, “Work-function tuneable and aqueous solution-processed Cs2CO3 for high-performance polymer solar cells”, J. Mater. Chem. A 2, 9400 (2014).
9. Y. L. Lei, L. S. Liao*, and S. T. Lee*, “Selective growth of dual-color-emitting heterogeneous microdumbbells composed of organic charge-transfer complexes”, J. American Chem. Soc.135, 3744 (2013).
8. Y. L. Lei, Y. Jin, D. Y. Zhou, W. Gu, X. B. Shi, L. S. Liao,* and S. T. Lee*, “White-light emitting microtubes of mixed organic charge-transfer complexes”, Adv. Mater., 24, 5345 (2012).
7. L. S. Liao*, K. P. Klubek, J. K. Madathil, C. W. Tang, and D. J. Giesen, “Recoverable electroluminescence from a contaminated organic/organic interface in an organic light-emitting diode”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 043302 (2010).
6. L.S.Liao*and C.W.Tang, “Moisture exposure to different layers in organic light-emitting diodes and the effect on electroluminescence characteristics”, J. Appl. Phys. 104, 044501(2008).
5. L.S.Liao*and K.P.Klubek, “Power efficiency improvement in a tandem organic light-emitting diode”, Appl. Phys. Lett.92(22), 223311(2008).
4. L. S. Liao*, W. K. Slusarek, T.K. Hatwar, M.L. Ricks, and D.L. Comfort, “Tandem organic light-emitting diode using hexaazatriphenylene hexacarbonitrile in the intermediate connector”,Adv. Mater. 20(2), 324 (2008).
3. L. S. Liao*, K.P. Klubek, and C.W. Tang, “High-efficiency tandem organic light-emitting diodes”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 84(2), 167 (2004).
2. L. S. Liao, L. F. Cheng, X. H. Sun, N. B. Wong, C. S. Lee, and S. T. Lee*, “Substrate dependence of thermal effect on organic light-emitting films”, Chem. Phys. Lett. 356, 194 (2002).
1. L. S. Liao, X. M. Bao, X. Q. Zheng, N. S. Li, and N. B. Min, “Blue photoluminescence from Si+-implanted SiO2 films on crystalline Si”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 68(6), 850 (1996).
20. L.S.Liao, M.W.Culver, and C.W.Tang, “Fluorocarbon electrode modification layer”, US7,799,439 B2 (September 21, 2010).
18. L. S. Liao, T. K. Hatwar, K. P. Klubek, D. L. Comfort, and C. W. Tang, “White OLEDs having a color compensated electroluminescent unit”, US7,560,862 B2 (July 14, 2009).
17. L.S. Liao, K.P. Klubek, and C.W. Tang, “Color organic OLED device”, US7,528,545 B2 (May 5, 2009).
16. L.S. Liao, W.Slusarek, T.K. Hatwar, M.L.Ricks, and D.L. Comfort, “Tandem OLED having an organic intermediate connector”,US7,494,722 B2 (February 24, 2009).
15. L.S. Liao, T.K. Hatwar, K.P. Klubek, and C.W. Tang, “White OLED having multiple white electroluminescence units”, US7,273,663 B2(September 25, 2007).
14. L.S. Liao and K.P. Klubek, “Using a crystallization-inhibitor in organic electroluminescent devices”, US7,211,948 B2 (May 1, 2007).
13. L.S. Liao and K.P. Klubek, “Organic electroluminescent devices having a stability-enhancing layer”, US7,138,763 B2(November 21, 2006).
12. L.S. Liao and C.W. Tang,“Tandem OLED having stable intermediate connectors”, US7,126,267 B2(October 24, 2006).
11. L. S. Liao, T. K. Hatwar, K. P. Klubek, J. R. Vargas, and D. L. Comfort, “Tandem OLED having low drive voltage”, US7,075,231 B1(July 11, 2006).
10. L.S. Liao, K.P. Klubek, and C.W. Tang, “A full-color organic display having improved blue emission”, US7,030,554 B2 (April 18, 2006).
9. L.S. Liao, K.P. Klubek, D.L. Comfort, and C.W. Tang, “Cascaded organic electroluminescent device having connecting units with n-type and p-typeorganic layers”, US6,936,961 B2 (August 30, 2005).
8. L.S. Liao and K.P. Klubek, “Blue organic electroluminescent devices having a non-hole-blocking buffer layer”,US6,881,502 B2 (April 19, 2005).
7. L.S. Liao and C.W. Tang, “Providing an organic electroluminescent device having stacked electroluminescent units”,US6,872,472 B2 (March 29, 2005).
6. L.S. Liao, K.P. Klubek, and D.L. Comfort, “Providing an emission-protecting layer in an OLED device”, US6,853,133 B2 (February 8, 2005).
5. L.S. Liao and J.K.Madathil, “Organic electroluminescent devices having a metal sub-layer within a hole-transporting region”, US6,818,329 B1 (November 16, 2004).
4. L.S. Liao, J.K.Madathil, P.K.Raychaudhuri, and C.W. Tang, “Organic electroluminescent device having an adhesion-promoting layer for use with a magnesium cathode”, US6,794,061 B2(September 21, 2004).
3. L.S. Liao, J.K.Madathil, K.P. Klubek, D.L. Comfort, and C.W. Tang, “OLED device with a performance-enhancing layer”, US6,781,149 B1(August 24, 2004).
2. L.S. Liao, K.P. Klubek, D.L. Comfort, and C.W. Tang, “Cascaded organic electroluminescent devices with improved voltage stability”, US6,717,358 B1 (April 6, 2004).
1. L.S. Liao, J.K.Madathil, K.P. Klubek, and C.W. Tang,“Organic light-emitting diode having an interface layer between the hole-transporting layer and the light-emitting layer”, US6,603,150 B2 (August 5, 2003).
Edited by Juan yang