Lecturer in Prof. Peng’s group
Personal website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ligeng_Xu/?ev=hdr_xprf
Education and work experience:
2012.8-, Lecturer of Prof. Rui Peng’s group in Institute of Functional Nano & Soft Materials (FUNSOM), Soochow University, Suzhou, China
2008.9-2012.6 PhD in Nanobiology, National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST), CAS Key Laboratory for Biomedical Effects of Nanomaterials and Nanosafety, Beijing, China
2005.9-2008.7 M.S. in Cell biology, Northwest A&F University, College of veterinary medicine, Xi’an, China
2001.9-2005.7 B.S. in veterinary medicine, Northwest A&F University, College of veterinary medicine, Xi’an, China
(1) The biological effects of nanomaterials;
(2) The development of nanomaterials as drug carriers and vaccine adjuvants;
(3) The interactions between nanomaterials and immune system.
Research experience and achievements:
Recent years, Dr. Xu’s research mainly focuses on the biological effects of nanomaterials and the development of nanomaterials as vaccine adjuvants for major infectious diseases and cancer. He first uncovered the critical roles of the surface chemistry in the adjuvant activities of nanomaterials via selecting gold nanorods as model materials. Meanwhile, he first reported the ideal adjuvant activities of fullerene derivatives such as fullerenol similar to that of virus-based vaccines and uncovered the underlying mechanism of this virus-like nanoparticle. These researches may provide important guidelines for the rational design of nanomaterials as vaccine adjuvants. He is undertaking two projects from Natural Science Foundation of China (2014-2016) and China Postdoctoral Science Foundation (2012-2014). Meanwhile, he is the member of the Nanotoxicology branch of Chinese Society of Toxicology.
From 2010, Dr. Xu has published 11 peer-reviewed papers in the well-respected journals such as Adv. Mater., Polymer Chemistry, Nano Lett., Biomaterials, WIRES Nanomed Nanobiotechnol, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, Pure Appl. Chem., Nanotoxicology, held two Chinese patents and written one chapter of a book titled ‘The biological effects and safe applications of titanium dioxide nanoparticle.’ (published by Science Press).
1. Ligeng Xu, Liang Cheng, Chao Wang, Rui Peng*, Zhuang Liu*. Conjugated polymers for photothermal therapy of cancer. Polym Chem., 2014, 5, 1573-1580.
2. Ligeng Xu, Ye Liu, Zhiyun Chen, Wei Li, Ying Liu, Liming Wang, Liying Ma, Yiming Shao*, Yuliang Zhao*, Chunying Chen*. Morphologically Virus-Like Fullerenol Nanoparticles Act as the Dual-Functional Nanoadjuvant for HIV-1 Vaccine. Adv. Mater., 2013, 25, 5928-5936(Highlighted by MaterialsViews China).
3. Ligeng Xu, Ye Liu, Zhiyun Chen, Wei Li, Ying Liu, Liming Wang, Yong Liu, Xiaochun Wu*, Yinglu Ji, Yuliang Zhao, Liying Ma, Yiming Shao, Chunying Chen*. Surface-Engineered Gold Nanorods: Promising DNA Vaccine Adjuvant for HIV-1 Treatment. Nano Lett, 2012, 12, 2003-2012.
4. Ligeng Xu, Ying Liu, Ru Bai, Chunying Chen*. Applications and toxicological issues surrounding nanotechnology in the food industry. Pure Appl. Chem., 2010, 82, 349-372.
5. Ligeng Xu, Chunying Chen*. Physiological behavior of quantum dots. WIRES Nanomed Nanobiotechnol, 2012, 4, 620-637 (invited review).
6. Ligeng Xu, Chunying Chen*. Recent advances on nanomaterials as vaccine carriers and adjuvants for major diseases (in Chinese). Chin Sci Bull (Chin Ver), 2012, 57, 2341–2353 (cover article).
7. Jia Tang, Qian Chen, Ligeng Xu, Shuai Zhang, Liangzhu Feng, Liang Cheng, Huan Xu, Zhuang Liu*, Rui Peng*. Graphene Oxide?Silver Nanocomposite As a Highly Effective Antibacterial Agent with Species-Specific Mechanisms. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2013, 5, 3867–3874.
8. Cuicui Ge, Li Meng, Ligeng Xu, Ru Bai, Jiangfeng Du, Lili Zhang, Yang Li, Yanzhong Chang, Yuliang Zhao and Chunying Chen*. Acute pulmonary and moderate cardiovascular responses of spontaneously hypertensive rats after exposure to single-wall carbon nanotubes. Nanotoxicology, 2012, 6, 526-542.
9. Yang Qiu, Ying Liu, Liming Wang, Ligeng Xu, Ru Bai, Yinglu Ji, Xiaochun Wu*, Yuliang Zhao, Yufeng Li and Chunying Chen*. Surface chemistry and aspect ratio mediated cellular uptake of Au nanorods. Biomaterials, 2010, 31, 7606-7619.
10. Liming Wang, Ying Liu, Wei L, Xiumei Jiang, Yinglu Ji, Xiaochun Wu*, Ligeng Xu, Yang Qiu, Kai Zhao, Taotao Wei, Yufeng Li, Yuliang Zhao and Chunying Chen*. Selective Targeting of Gold Nanorods at the Mitochondria of Cancer Cells: Implications for Cancer Therapy. Nano Lett, 2011, 11, 772-780.
11. Lili Zhang, Ru Bai, Ying Liu, Li Meng, Bai Li, Liming Wang, Ligeng Xu, Laurent Le Guyader, Chunying Chen*. The dose-dependent toxicological effects and potential perturbation on the neurotransmitter secretion in brain following intranasal instillation of copper nanoparticles. Nanotoxicology, 2012, 6, 562-575.
Rm 401, Bld 910
Institute of Functional Nano& Soft Materials (FUNSOM)
Soochow University 199 Ren-Ai Road,
Suzhou Industrial Park,
Suzhou, Jiangsu 215123 China
Edited by Groot